Friday, January 26, 2007

Farewell the Foraus...

Last weekend, Luke Forau, his wife May, and three of their four young Pikininis, swapped the modest capital of the Solomon Islands for the equally modest (or so I’m told) capital of Australia. Luke was the assistant manager of the Economic Department before he left, and has been lucky enough to get funding from CBSI to study a Masters for two years at the University of Australia. For Solomon Islanders, getting hold of a scholarship is the single factor that makes or breaks your career (seemingly no-one here can afford to fund themselves through university). Get funding for a degree at the University of South Pacific in Suva (Fiji), or better still for one of the few places in Australian universities, and on your return you will have a good chance of getting a job as a civil servant, in one of the few foreign firms located here, or working in one of the lucrative foreign agencies associated with development in the country. Miss out on a scholarship and, regardless of your school grades, you will almost certainly be destined to end up with a pitifully low-pay job, or trying to graft a living in the informal sector.

So Luke, a big omni-smiling Polynesian, is fantastically lucky to get the chance for postgraduate studies. I, on the other hand, feel unlucky to have lost such a good friend. Of all the kind souls helping to make me feel welcome in CBSI and to settle in to my new house and neighbourhood, it was Luke and his family who I came to depend on most and with whom I ended up spending most time. I have spent many an evening spent sitting with him, his wife and his four sweet and hilarious little daughters (including little seven year-old Emily, who grinned and said “me save” – I know – when I told her my own sister had the same name?!), watching a film or two and joining the family for dinner. Fascinating too, to hear his tales of Tikopia, the tiny incredibly isolated island where he was born. Tikopia, it is said, is the most traditional of all Polynesian Pacific islands with a tiny population but a surprisingly overt presence in Honiara. The various tribal chiefs have made a decision on behalf of the community to ban any machines, hoping to maintain the traditional village fabric that has existed for thousands of years. I’d be tempted to go, but a boat goes there only once every six months, the journey takes several weeks, and the boat stops for just a couple of days before returning… oversleep on the morning of that return trip and you’ll have six months of deep life contemplation and fish chewing before any chance of heading back to civilisation.

Anyway, on Saturday night I gathered with various extended family members and wantak for the inevitable goodbye barbecue. Solomon Islanders take goodbyes very seriously. Perhaps the scattered nature of islands and population has given them the practice. For whatever reason, they have got it down to a fine and well-oiled art. Besides the big spread of food, there are always multiple and wordy speeches, and for the first time I had the chance to join in the fun. I say ‘the chance’, but in actual fact I had no choice in the matter. The matriarch M.C, after picking on various other feet-shuffling men, simply said, “and now William will say a few words”. So William did, though not in Pijin unfortunately.

That evening it really struck me that, despite the hardships of life in the Solomons, people here have an amazing attachment to their country. The incredible strength and depth of the family network here, I think, gives people a security and comfort that makes them essentially very happy. As we stood on his balcony, overlooking the Mbokona valley and my own little house almost directly below, Luke said to me with a sigh as a rainstorm broke over the tin roof, “I don’t want to go to Australia you know”. I found something very reassuring in this sentiment. It reminded me that a people and their land are not separate entities. Take a person from their homeland and, though many cultural habits will remain, something is fundamentally changed. For good or for bad, the issue of identity comes to the fore. A travelling Englishman is no longer just an Englishman. He is either definitively ‘an Englishman abroad’ or he can start to absorb the local culture and perhaps, as British colonialists would mutter over G&Ts, ‘go local’. Standing with Luke on his balcony, I think I felt almost as keenly as he did what he was leaving behind. The shops, and pavements, cinemas and first-class education in Canberra are little consolation for the loss of the deep-rooted contentment of ‘belonging’ in the Solomon Islands. It reminded me too of the constant immigration furore in Europe, where among the angry and shrill cries of indignation are the quiet voices urging us to remember the high price people have reluctantly paid in leaving behind their homeland and their own innate sense of identity to come to a foreign land. So goodbye Luke, and good luck, I’ll miss you and your lovely family.


In other news:

  • Today is ‘Australia Day’. Why anyone would celebrate the arrival of a boatload of convicts and their unleashing on a wild and beautiful country is beyond me. But don’t question it guys…whip out that garish flag, grab a stubbie, get those coals going, adopt your best Joe Mangle accent, and toast those 19 million Aussies for their infuriating ability to beat us 60 million Brits at any sport they put their mind to.

  • This week I bought two new pairs of shoes (see photo). The shoe that looks like 'one of those shoes you wear when you’ve got one leg longer than the other' was courtesy of the Central Bank, the first instalment of my forthcoming uniform. The second is preparation for my imminent signing by one of the local football clubs, the latest illustrious and lucky team to follow Mullet Argyle and Monj Too in securing my services

(Photos from top: Luke, wee Nesta, Emily eating pineapple, me with the fam)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss Luke now too, sounds like a wonderful night.

I was having the same conversation about identity and belonging with my flat mate and colleague Cristina last night over a mixed grill and bottle of alentejo red. And being, at least i like to believe more on the g+t side of 'going local' than the egg and chips brigade i tried to impart some of my new found enthusiasm for my new 'home', by inviting Cristina for lunch at my new local eatery, to which i received the retort 'i could never go there, you dont understand, you will always be an outsider not part of the community and treated differently as people realise im a foreigner 'non portuguese' and for me im just passing by' well of course i was slighly perturbed by such a over zealous put-down but i tried to understand put myself in her position at what she was getting at, a lot of it of course had to do with the fact that she's a woman and certain places aren't as comfortable as the are for men and word travels extraordinarily fast back to family im told about any news or gossip even as far as 50km away as Cristina found in her case. Still i felt it was a slightly strong, and just as i felt id pushed the play button after the initial pause re:reflections on a beginning. It made me think what is so special about Portugal about coming part of the community. In a small village in England does it take a 20years as Cristina said to understand and be part. I would beg to differ, having lived in the north, middle england and London and being able to forge my own identity in each of these places. Or have i only been able to do this being English and Caucasian. Would i have found this impossible being "portuguese" i guess i'll never know. However it did make me miss home for the first time, and made me ask the question to myself what is my identity in England, how i am a part of the community and perceived.

We can try as much as we like eat the plate of the day and speak the language but there is always something beneath the skin that we will perhaps never understand... all we can maybe do as we are trying to is appreciate

Connell

Anonymous said...

Well, Will...I have been enjoying these episodes for several weeks and have finally handed the links to Jez and Sally, breaking my monopoly on your antics. So expect some mutterings from them too.
Finaly,I decide to put geriatric fingers on keyboard and send a message. Your style, fluidity and insight deters, perhaps, others in writing. But heartened by the waffle and poor grammar of some London respondents I thought I would put my avuncular oar in.

Great to see you are going bush, and keeping healthy perspective on things. You are a bit harsh on the Aussies though..isn't it strange that the nearest "1st world" nation becomes the enemy? Australia is hardly the USA..as they say in Mexico "Poor Mexico, so far from God and so close to USA".

I'll write in more depth when the mood takes me: now is time for preparing brats for School tomorrow and garnering my loins for another week dealing with tax evaders on another small Island lost in time...Guernsey. Love from the Fat Uncle

Anonymous said...

Hi Will!

I'm having a very slow day at work today and remembered that you have this blog thingy. I'm actually amazed that you have written so much. Looks like you're having a lovely time and your place looks beautiful!

Anyhow, I'm going to London in a couple of weeks to catch up with the girls, so am looking forward to that.

Missing you and missing the old days when everyone was within a 15 minute walk from one another and there was all the time in the world.
Karen xxx