Monday, April 02, 2007

Measuring 8.0 on the Richter-scale...

Thursday Lunchtime... I've added a few photos showing some of the damage. Must admit that when I wrote the last post I wasn't fully aware of the scale of the disaster, and by no means expected the Solomon Islands to make front page news around the world (as it did in Spain at least, I'm reliably informed). Here in the Solos people were for the most part completely unaware that the country was being talked about. Which is just as well really, as once it became clear that this was no repeat of the Asian Tsunami (the scale of which was quite simply unbelievable), the momentary spotlight of the world's media disappeared just as quickly leaving the country to pick up the pieces, hold memorials for loved ones lost, and try to prevent disease from claiming more lives. This event will no doubt also make it even harder for the Solos to lure the lucrative tourist dollar away from neighbours such as Fiji and Vanuatu, with the "disaster-struck" tag added to the "violence-ravaged" tag that already hangs like a millstone around our necks.

But thank you everyone who inundated me with emails regarding my safety. Sorry for the brief replies, but was a full morning's task convincing everyone I was still alive. And Happy Easter to you all. Enjoy those choccy eggs, and the daffs and the (hopefully) sunny clear spring weekend. But if you get a moment, spare a thought too for the poor Solomanders in the Western Province, camped out in the bush with no water, little food and no home to which they can return.

















It's not often that the Solomon Islands makes international news, but this morning I noticed the following story on The Guardian website: http://www.guardian.co.uk/naturaldisasters/story/0,,2048180,00.html

In case anyone happened to read it, and in the even more unlikely event that they're worried, Honiara was not damaged by the earthquake, and not affected by the Tsunami that followed. Apparently the earthquake shook the Central Bank quite vigorously for five minutes, and caused those staff here early to flee outside. At 7.39am though, I was standing in the back of a truck bouncing my way to work, and an 8.0 Richter-scale earthquake couldn't compete with the bumps of the Mbokona road.

Out in the Western Province where the epicentre was, things look pretty bad however. The earthquake triggered a Tsunami, and water surged several hundreds of metres inland, with reports of many houses washed away. Fortunately there have been few deaths yet reported, but considering the fact that many of the islands in those parts have no communication at the best of times, little is yet known. Quite a large number of colleagues are from the Western province, and with all phone lines down they've been on the CBSI radio all morning trying to contact their families. At least one has lost a family member, and the mood is pretty sombre. Unlike many government staff who voluntarily gave themselves a day off, here at CBSI we're all still working, and I must go now to ponder my next task... drafting the Central Bank monetary policy stance for 2007.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just seen it on BBC news, glad to hear you're allright mate.

Connell

Anonymous said...

me too, i read it in in the spanish papers this morning, front page of el pais! xx

Anonymous said...

Phew Pigs!

Never mind about 'in the unlikely event' of us being worried, was woken by the world and his dog calling our house this morn to check son numero uno's welfare.

Pleased to hear you're okay. Whose is the bumpy old truck? Maybe I can rekindle my old love for driving on it? Big Beijo Bro xx

Will said...

Anonymous and Jo,
Seems incredible to me that the little old Solomons are splashed across the world's newspapers today. Only sad and bad headlines make such countries known it seems... ethnic conflict and natural disasters. But that's the way of the world I suppose. Cheers for your concern, and lots of love to you both,
W

Will said...

Hey pigster,
Sorry that the Solomon disaster caused you to be woken from your piggy slumber. But you'll be pleased to hear than numero uno son is still numbawan. No idea whose truck it was I'm afraid Em. It stopped, I climbed on, earthquake hit, I noticed nothing, I climbed off. That was that. Hope work is going well, all love,
Guillermo

Anonymous said...

I guess Govt officers (referred to) left their buildings because they weren't sitting a 4 level building like those folks who worked throughout the day.....plus it was an opportunity for a day off!!
luv....me

Anonymous said...

We too were very worried Mister. Tomomi broke into my room in a frenzy of panic, having just read the newspaper, and come to the realisation that perhaps you had been sucked into the sea under mile high waves. But clearly Island calmness has set into your psyche, and not even a Tsunami can cause you worry.

Glad to see you are well and relatively chilled.

lots of love,

Caroline and Tomomi

Anonymous said...

Hi Will:
I found out in Madrid: 07.00 my www sprang to life and carried a report. I called home, worried that Sal & grandparents were in a state. But you were wise and quick, and what I assumed was a futile click on your blog gave a reassurance I could pass to Chichester. I endured a 7.2 in Mexico City in '82, losing only my bath which fell from side of building. Tsunami is a different issue and Spanish press were full of global warming notices, while nobody sensed a connection with plate tectonics. Got me thinking that perhaps all news (especially political) we receive is tainted with half connection and association and (innacurate) inferences and psychological overlay. Anyway, the Pope is praying for you all, so that's all right then. Happy Easter from Nethervale.

Will said...

Happy Easter to you Anthony, and all at Nethervale. For some reason the Solomon Islands disaster seemed to make far bigger news in Spain than in Britain. I'm surprised they even know where the country is, as very few people in Britain (including myself before I came here) seem to know exactly, despite it being formerly called the 'British Solomon Islands'. Love to Sal, Jezza, Celidh and of course Jonty,
Will